Artist, sculptor, publisher of the famous «А-YA» art magazine.
Igor Chelkovski graduated from the 1905 Memorial School of Art in Moscow. In 1962-1966 Chelkovski worked as restorer of medieval painting in the Moscow Kremlin and in Novgorod. He’s been working as sculptor since the beginning of the 1970s. In 1976 Chelkovski moved to Paris and established alongside Alexander Sidorov the legendary «А-YA» art magazine (1979 -1986), which introduced the Western countries to the Soviet underground art. The magazine published texts by Dmitry Prigov and Boris Groys, works of Erik Bulatov, Ivan Chuikov, Fedor Semenov-Amursky and many others. Chelkovski was deprived of citizenship of the USSR in 1985.
Chelkovski’s first personal exhibitions took place in the 1990s in Germany and France. In Russia, the first major exhibition, Consistency of Change, happened in the Multimedia Art Museum in 2013-2014. In 2017-2018 the City of Roads retrospective exhibition in the Tretyakov Gallery followed. His works are included in the collections of the Pompidou Centre, the Ludwig foundation, the Tretyakov Gallery, the State Russian museum, the Zimmerli Art Museum among others.